Friday, September 17, 2010

The first day

Finally fell back asleep this morning around 5. Woke up at 10. Definitely would have slept longer, except that I knew if I was going to have any chance of finding a rhythm sooner rather than later, I needed to get moving.

At least I wasn't alone. I had to muster Dad from deep slumber as well. But it didn't take him long to get up and ready - the idea of tostada con tomate was enough.

It only needed a short jaunt around the corner to find a cute plaza and some outdoor tables to enjoy our cafes and breakfast. After running back to grab an umbrella (of course I had to get a new one this year as my one from Cordoba was completely obliterated) we did some walking around and ducking under eaves, and eventually going back to the apartment before the sky fell for the second time today. We enjoyed some tasty tapas for lunch under the awnings of one of the more popular places in Malaga while the sky fell for the third time and we watched everyone else in the streets run for cover. On our way back from the supermarket, we accidentally came across my school (not quite as charming as Góngora, but I have higher hopes) and immediately got lost (not a good sign!) and ended up walking directly to the opposite side of town with 5 heavy shopping bags that were ripping at the plastic seams. We eventually found our way back and called it a day in terms of "work." It was pleasantly finished off with delicious white bean and quail stew at another central taberna.

My two closest friends that stayed in Spain through the summer have both asked me since returning (slightly more than 24 hours ago) how it feels. And I've really been trying to figure that out. But it does feel strange - strange at the lack of strangeness. Everything seems quite normal. Granted, I'm in a different city, and having to get used to different stores, food, lingo. But being back in Spain feels quite normal at the moment. And I'm actually really excited to be using Spanish again, despite having to make up for the summer deficit now.

So, as I wasn't particularly excited about another 9 months in Spain before getting here (having to first overcome actually getting here), I can say that I'm now super-duper excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment