Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Final Preparations

The visa has arrived. It arrived about 3 weeks ago.

The plane ticket is purchased. Did that about 12 hours ago.

I guess that's all I really need, ultimately.

Everyday I run through my mental list of everything I need to do, get done, go, finish, return, buy, save, pack, find, and anything else before I leave for another 10 months.

My mind is partially quelled. After being there this last year, I definitely feel more prepared about what I need and what I can leave behind. That doesn't necessarily mean my bags will be any lighter (I've already bought my yearly supply of PB and other mandatory spices). I also know I have an apartment in Malaga that I'm pretty excited about. I'll be spending significantly more this year on boarding (2/3 to double more!), but that was anticipated (and totally worth it). More than anything, I'm just excited to know I have a place once I'm there, even if it's lacking an oven (This was almost a deal breaker, but decided it might be a good change of pace not to be tempted to bake every day. And besides, there're always toaster ovens for the mandatory baked potato and fish-in-foil.)

And my dad is going to try and come with me. Originally we were both going to non-rev it over, hoping I could get over on employee passes and brutalize the wallet a bit less. But after looking at loads last night (recession what?), we had to face reality and buy a ticket over just to make sure I got there (I WILL make it to Spain and Scotland this month!). Although it was last minute and we probably ended up spending more, we had the foresight to actually buy a round-trip ticket this time, so I have a definite return date in the summer too (and wont have to endure a 3rd round of last-minute transatlantic ticket purchases). Dad's still going to try and come out on the same flight (and with his luck, minus a volcano in the spring, he'll probably make it) so he can help me with the bags (he gets an unlimited allowance!) and we can do a little traveling on the side.

So, all seems well, on track, and (almost) ready to go. Again and again I learn to just breath and there's really no reason to fret. Because everything's going to be just fine and work out beautifully.

But I'm sure I'll be saying this again, the next time I need to panic.

Sidenote: My Exciting September:
3-6 Orlando, Florida with Marina!
10-11 Denver with Dad for Dbacks/Rockies game (and a little Coors on the side)
15- Leave for Spain
24-28- Scotland to see Chantal! You can't get me this time Eyjafjallajokull!

1 comment: