Thursday, July 28, 2011

Italy: Last days at the farm

Day 39 - Friday, July 15
       The last day of kiddy camp. We were all pretty excited to have it finished that as soon as the last kid left we dropped everything and went to the Mara's town.  She had prepared a marvelously tasty dinner and after we went out for a stroll of the street fair.  It wasn't anything too special, but it was so nice to be out in the cool night air and enjoying something different without a single ounce of work involved.

Day 40 - Saturday, July 16
       After telling Paula about what American like to do most with zucchini (um... add lots of fat, sugar, and carbs to it and then call it "bread"), she insisted that I bake some of it for the farm with the plethora of zucchini that was coming from the garden.  After learning to love a metric scale and pillow talking the difficult oven, I managed to make a couple pretty delicious zucchini breads.  After we hosted a family for lunch, we all called it a day.  It mostly because Paola was suffering from a pretty bad headache and the rest of us took it as an opportunity to do absolutely nothing, which is exactly what we did - not even bothering to cook dinner that night but instead enjoyed take away pizzas and a walk in Montepastore.

Day 41 - Sunday, July 17
       I was requested to make more zucchini breads (I started calling them cakes, because let's face it, once you start adding chocolate chunks and putting it in round pans, it had no semblance of bread anymore).  I also made the wonder that is buttercream frosting (vanilla and chocolate) as they had yet to be introduced to it.  They ate it like ice cream (yes, I told them how it was intended to be eaten, and yes, also what it was made of).  As I was working in the kitchen, I kept looking out and being startled at the sight of the large cow that was left out to wander for the day.  Later we went up to the church in the valley which was having its Saint's Day celebration to donate a couple cakes.  It was kind of cool to finally get a closer look at the building that had become my beautiful sounding clock the previous six weeks.

Day 42 - Monday, July 18
       My last full day was filled with a variety of tasks, from hauling a 30kg bag of grain up a hill (and yes, it broke upon arrival), picking some figs, took down the entranceway, cleaned a room for guests, and moved dry weeds for burning.  For my last dinner with the family, they bought gelato for the special occasion (how many flavors can you fit into one styrofoam container?  A lot, apparently.)

Day 43 - Tuesday, July 19
     Before leaving, I only had time to write in the WWOOFer book (of which more than 50 previous WWOOFers had written in) and clean my room.  I was hoping to do a last walk around the farm to say goodbye to all the animals (yes, I'm serious), but as Paola spontaneous offered to drive me to the closest train stop into Bologna, I had to bid a quick adieu to the farm that I had come to know over those 6 weeks.  Paola said a brief goodbye at the metro station, and with that, my time at Casa del Buco came to an end, I must admit, rather anticlimactically.  But at least my time in Italy wasn't over.

No comments:

Post a Comment