Friday, July 1, 2011

Italy: Days 21 through 25


Day 21 – Monday, June 27
            Packed a lunch to spend a while at the cherry trees, picking the last of them.  Actually, we were picking cherries that had dried on the tree so Paola could make her special jam.  After being brought home, I was called to fold the largest tarp in the world (took up the whole field) and then move huge rocks from one field to another.  After making more than 10 trips with the wheelbarrow, I discovered a great new exercise for personal trainers to agonize their clients .

Day 22 – Tuesday, June 28
            Started picking plums today, and I think I ate almost as many as I put in my basket, as they were the sweetest I might have ever eaten.  After lunch, Paola took me on a few errands closer to Bologna city.  We went to the mall (which blew me away with how much it actually looked like an American mall), then got the best gelato ever, then went to the bulk-supermarket, where we bought massive quantities of cheese and other things.  It was wonderful getting away from the farm for a little bit, and even more beautiful seeing the land around us: I just wanted to run through the sunflower fields that were along the way.

Day 23 – Wednesday, June 29
            It was a hot and humid day at Ca’del Buco, and we kept busy doing lots of small tasks.  After lunch, I started with cleaning out the wine cellar of all the empty marmalade jars.   Did everything I could to stay away from the zoo-escaped spider guarding it’s nest in the corner.  Having visions of Arachnophobia.  As I was in my room for the evening, one of the largest thunderstorms broke out and I sat in front of my window with the lights off (and flashlight in hand) to just watch the light show. 

Day 24 – Thursday, June 30
            It was blue skies and sun after the storm the night before, but back to many of the unfinished project from the day before: weeding, moving wood, cleaning the glass jars that were uncovered from the cellar.  In the afternoon, I was able to go with Roberto to the farm where they buy their meat.  The butcher was kind of unimpressive, but the ride there was absolutely spectacular: we drove along the top of the hill and could see through all the valleys below.  It’s hard to believe, after seeing this place, how Tuscany has all the Italian countryside fame.  On our way back, Roberto treated me to a beer in what seemed like the only pub in the area.

Day 25 – Friday, July 1
            There was a beautiful fog through the mountains today, and it was nice and cool for our couple hours of plum picking (eating one for one).  After lunch I finished the jars (finally!) and then started on lasagna.  Using a recipe from home that usually takes 5 minutes to put together with the no-need-to-cook noodles and the canned sauce.  However, when everything is made from scratch, instead of 5 minutes, it took about 5 hours.  I wish I were joking.  At least it paid off: it was Italian family approved (at least to my face) and it will be tomorrow’s dinner for the guests staying at Ca’ del Buco (as long as they can handle the spice!).  Of course, it also takes a long time to make when you have to stop midway to brace for a storm and then run around making sure the property’s not flooded in the middle of the torrential downpour.  Thank goodness for homemade trash bag ponchos.  

1 comment:

  1. thanks. you make me crave fruit-picking. i heart you.

    ReplyDelete