Friday, April 1, 2011

Seeing London through Spanish eyes

New concept:
Stand to the right!
In January, my IT class invited me to come along for their end-of-studies trip to London.  Honored at the invite (but really, it didn't surprise me - after all, I am their favorite) and excited at the opportunity to go to London (a city I've always wanted to see and couldn't miss this time around), I of course accepted.

Let me paint you this picture: 13 chicos/4 chicas students (aged 18-28), 2 female teachers, and myself.  Often, it was a battle of the wills. At its best, it was utter chaos, but nearly always it was thoroughly entertaining.

I'll start by painting you another picture: 13 boys, Veronica, and myself.  We are all packed into a room smaller than any of my college dorms.  I actually had the option of staying with the profesoras, but decided that more lasting memories would probably be happening back at the hostel.  And indeed that was the case.  For 5 nights, it was a bit like reliving freshman year of college: musty smells, bunk beds, late night convos, lights on all hours, and snoring that shook the foundation (ok, so maybe they weren't exactly like my freshman year roommates).

Lesson #1: When traveling with Spaniards, I learned that it will entail frequent outbursts of flamenco singing and clapping in public places.  I might have peed in my pants laughing a little (out of sheer humiliation and hilarity).

Lesson #2: When traveling with students, I learned that it will entail many kebabs and meals at McDonald's.  In the meantime, I fell in love with Mark & Spencer's prepackaged salads which helped to keep me scurvy-free in London.  Also, they were about the only places open when they wanted to eat at the normal Spanish hours of 3 and 11pm.

At the British Museum
I was definitely the token English speaker (ok, there was Victor, but I definitely had the whole "native-english-speaker thing going for me) and main resource for Q&As of any importance.  I spoke Spanish 95% of the time.  Looking back, I could probably recall every english dialogue I had while visiting, all 1.5 of them (excluding Starbucks). Even besides my own students, walking around the city I heard a surprising amount of Spanish, which they even noticed and joked about ("Españoles del mundo!").

On several different occasions, I also had to explain that the pace of walking in the streets and subways didn't indicate a significant higher level of estress; merely that the pace of life was faster, and the quality of life didn't suffer just because we walked faster than the average Spaniard.  I think they remained skeptical.

It doesn't get more fun than an
oversized elevator - excuse me, lift.
My impressions of London were only positive, and easy biased as I'm at the 7-month stage of missing everything.  London, in many ways, reminded me of New York City; large, classy, cosmopolitan, diverse, efficient, and easy to get around with more museums, galleries, restaurants, markets, and cafes than one could explore in a lifetime.  But then, it still retained so much of that European charm; city along a river, old [looking] buildings, a history that extends more than 400 years.  I was able to indulge in Starbucks AND baguettes.  Gap AND Zara.  Capitalism AND public health care.  The best of both worlds? I think so.

In the 5 or 6 days, we got a lot done: British Museum, Tate Modern, Hyde Park, Changing of the Guard, Camden Town, St. Paul's Cathedral, Harrods, Science Museum, Notting Hill/Portobello Market, Natural History Museum, Tower of London, St. James Park, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Millenium Bridge, Parliament, Westminster Abby, Hamleys, Covnent Garden, Picadilly Circus, and all the places in between.

Was it my ideal trip to London?  No.  But it was unforgettable and I am so grateful for the opportunity I had.  Indeed going with a large group of young Spaniards lent to a completely different experience than I ever could have had going with myself, my family, or any other group.  I learned as much about Spanish culture as I did about London, if not more so, simply because I was able to experience their reactions and impressions to a different culture and one outside of Spain.

I didn't get to eat at any of the restaurants on my list, linger over paintings at the National Gallery, or take in a world-class show.  But how many people can say they were serenaded by flamenco in the middle of the London Underground?  I can.

For the complete gallery, go to my Facebook album. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post katie. Always enjoy your painting of words. Miss you. Sue

    ReplyDelete