Friday, November 26, 2010

Dar Gracias

By no exaggeration, when I think of all the things I have to be grateful for, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside and I seriously can't help but smile.

It happens all the time too.  I'll be walking down the street, LOVING everything and just the fact that I'm here, have people that support me being here, that I'm capable of being here (finically, emotionally, physically), and I'll realize that I have this huge grin on my face.  I'm sure I look ridiculous, but I have no concern in the world, least of which is looking totally blissful.

I know that technically Thanksgiving was yesterday, but for me and all my American friends with whom I'm celebrating here in Malaga, we're saving it for tomorrow: A day when we all have off and time to cook and appreciate the holiday to the fullest extent possible.  So, in honor of our Thanksgiving, I want to express my gratitude for all the blessings in my life.

Thank you for my mom and dad.  There aren't words or space sufficient enough to go on about everything I owe to them.

Thank you for my friends - new and old, close and far.  I am so blessed to have friends that have stayed so close despite time and distance and I am even more blessed to still be meeting incredible people throughout my journeys.  All of them have given me the invaluable companionship and constantly challenge me and mold me into a better person. 

Thank you for all the amazing opportunities that have been provided to me.  I have had the honor and privilege to do life-changing things that have taught me so much about myself and the world.

I'm even thankful for Thanksgiving.  Spending Thanksgiving outside of the United States only makes it all the more obvious how special our country and this holiday is.  There aren't other countries in the world that nationalize a day of gratitude and when I explain Thanksgiving to non-Americans, the notion even fails to translate.  Thanksgiving transcends religious differences, corporate-takeover, and economic hardships.  And although we should constantly be recognizing the blessings in our lives, it's especially wonderful that we celebrate them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment