Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Working Out: Spanish Style

Last week I joined the closest gym to where I live, Fitness First. In the week that I've been there, I've definitely noticed some interesting cultural differences that I've mentally bookmarked. (Note: before coming to Spain, I worked at a gym, so admittedly, I probably find it all a lot more interesting than most others.)
  • I have seen some of the shortest shorts I've seen yet in Spain. On a man.
  • I encountered some of the most obvious fake boobs I had seen yet, and similar to the US, this woman had every intention of showing of what she paid for.
  • The relaxed attitude really does permeate every single part of their culture. In the US I was used to being kind of the slow one on the cardio machines. Here, I could probably beat 90% of the gym-goers in a race. Many people mosey on the machines the same way they do on the streets.
  • I have never seen the weight machines be used so much as chairs. I think most of the problem is that they have never learned about "super sets", and instead do all three sets of a machine at the same time, taking extended breaks just sitting on the machine. This is especially frustrating for someone like me who likes to work my sets quickly. Not only am I a firm believer that this is not only a rude way to use the machines, but also the incorrect way to workout. Mostly, I blame it on the trainers, who during the "first workout" failed to even point this out (probably because they seem to know very little about actually working out).
  • When I was taking a tour of the gym before actually joining, my consultant showed me first the weight machines and then the free weight area. He made a point of telling me that although this was the free weight area, it wasn't really an area that was for me to use and I would be better off sticking to the machines. I'm not sure if he said that because he somehow perceived a lack of experience on my end, or simply because the free weight area is dominated by males, and it is meant to stay that way. Although I haven't yet ventured into this area, I intend to disturb the delicate hormone balance before my time is up.
  • There is absolutely no policy about wiping down the machines after use. Now, admittedly, in the US, although it is asked of gym patrons to do so, it is not always the case. However, there aren't even signs or requests or materials to even fake it. They ask you to put on disposable gloves at the market when you pick out your fruit, but don't worry about wiping down your machine.
  • The services offered made me laugh. Along with the usual classes, trainers, child care, etc., Fitness First offers a wide selection of DVDs to rent, a computer with internet, and a coffee bar with tables. Spaniards will never miss a moment to sit down and gab over cafe con leche.

1 comment:

  1. Is THAT what those plastic gloves are at the grocery store?! I always mistakenly grab it for a bag. No wonder that senora was eye-balling me last night on my quest for the firmest three tomatoes I could find...

    ReplyDelete