Monday, October 5, 2009

Finding a Piso en Cordoba

So it’s been a little over a week since I arrived in Cordoba and everything is vastly different than it was a week ago. One being that I have a home. Two being that I’ve starting working.
My first few days in Cordoba were mostly filled with apartment hunting. Overall I visited 5 apartments, all very different and very interesting. In the order that I visited them:

Piso #1: In Ciudad Jardin. 20 minute walk to work. British girl that also came to Spain to teach was moving to different city. Big kitchen, one bathroom, sitting room a little run down. Bedroom had 2 [questionably comfortable] beds, large armoire which fit two beds, and nothing else (no desk). Didn’t meet either of the potential roommates. 220 euro/mo.

Piso #2: On Avda Barcelona. 25-30 minute scenic walk to work. Big kitchen, one bathroom, room well equipped (although did forget to try out bed). Would not have been able to move in immediately, and potential roommate did not seem especially friendly. 165 euro/mo.

Piso #3: In Ciudad Jardin. 20-25 minute walk to work. Big kitchen. 2 bathrooms. 2 roommates, both friendly (although 1 smoker). 2 decent mattresses in room, small desk, and had one of the 5 balconies in the apartment. 160euro/mo.

Piso #4: In Santa Marina. 15 minute walk to work. Small kitchen, small bathroom, 4 bedrooms. Shared washing machine on roof (with beautiful view). Kind of old and not very well equipped. Very kind potential roommate. 150 euro/mo.

Piso #5: In the Center. 5-10 minute walk to work. Decent kitchen, big bathroom, no air or heating, 2 private patios. Queen bed, big armoire, dresser, and 2 night stands. Hadn’t met potential roommate (only one other room). 225 euro/mo + 100euro finding fee.

In the end I chose Piso (apartment) #3. I was between #5 and #3 and even after choosing 3 I immediately doubted my decision, mostly because of the smoker and the distance to work. But ultimately I chose 3 because I liked the roommates, I liked the price, and overall it definitely seemed like the coziest apartment of the two. And anyone who knows me knows that being cozy is very important to me. When I picked up my keys a couple days later I found out that there was another flatmate that I hadn’t met yet (I failed to notice that there were 4 rooms instead of 3). So in total there are 2 girls and 2 boys. All are students at the university and seem very low-key. There’s Isa (22), Carlos (23), Paco (21)! I definitely have the “small room” but it’s adequate and I love it. There are things that still need to be fixed in it (the shelf in the closet, an outlet by my desk), and once that happens and we get internet (hopefully this week – it’s in the works), I know I will feel even better.

Upon arriving back to the piso after my first day of work, late and dragging my few remaining bags from the hotel, my roommates were sitting down to lunch and they asked me if I had eaten anything yet. Of course I hadn’t and had been expecting to still go grocery shopping before I could eat lunch, I was extremely grateful for their invitation and generosity and sat down with my three other roommates for my first meal in the apartment. Since they have also invited me out a few different times. And I’ve been impressed with Isa’s organization and the overall cleanliness of the apartment (we have a chore chart!). So regardless of the few minor things that still need to be resolved, at the present moment, I couldn’t be happier with my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment