Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sometimes it's not so easy being so far away

Today my best friend in the whole wide world is getting married.  Needless to say, I'm only going to be there in spirit.

When moving to a far away place, even for a short period of time, inevitably you face the reality that life goes on without you.  Even important, life changing stuff happens, for which you can't be present.  This isn't the first wedding I've missed because I've been too far away to make it feasibly possible to attend, and it probably wont be my last.

There are definitely upsides to traveling and being far and away from home, all of which are obvious.  Sometimes the downsides aren't so obvious when we make the decision to leave.  I'm not at all implying that the downsides ever make me wish I had chosen to do things differently.  But when things do happen, it just makes it glaringly obvious that Skype sometimes just doesn't cut it for everything that life throws at you.

But it will have to do for now.

And with that, I am thinking of her constantly and wishing her all the best and sending her so much love for the beautiful occasion.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand. I hate missing birthdays, family events and weddings. I was actually really sad about missing Liz's wedding last weekend...and I wont be able to make it to Alison's shower in January :(. In college I would have never imagined that I'd miss these events.

    ReplyDelete