Wednesday, June 9, 2010

PAAAATIOS!!

As exciting as Madrid was, and as beautiful as Granada was too, I was very excited to return to Córdoba to see the festival I had been waiting for since I found out I was placed in Córdoba: Los Patios.

Los Patios in Córdoba, infamous through the entirety of Spain, is a 10-day celebration of flowers and tradition. Private homes prepare all year long their patios (different from American ‘patios’ in that traditionally they were the open-air areas that a certain private community of people would share amongst themselves, usually being the central-most area of all the homes within the group of neighbors). Some patios are less-than-spectacular, but still maintain their own sense of charm (especially the ones located within restaurants which weren’t necessarily made any different for the occasion). On the other hand, there were other patios that when you turned the corner and entered the space, they just took your breath away. Upon entering what became one of my favorites, there was nothing I could do to hold back a loud and astonished gasp and “ohhhhhh” (and after doing so, the owner even made the comment that his patio should be named “OH” because it seemed to be the general reaction of the visitors to it)

For the first couple days after returning to Córdoba, wonderful local friends of mine, Gabriela and Juan, graciously offered to help show me and my parents to someof the best patios and then afterwards, the best food around town. After my dad left to France the next day, my mom and I still took part in more patios (Dad was probably relieved he had a way out of seeing more flowers) and even a homemade lunch prepared by sweet Juan and Gabriela.

At the end of the week when it came time to say goodbye, I went back up with Mom to Madrid to help her with the immense bags filled with my clothes and goodies (including the paella pan I wanted to get home). The next day I returned to Córdoba to be able to then show Vanessa and her boyfriend around what few patios we could get to (being it was the weekend and the weather had cleared, lines to get in to see prize-winning patios were up to an hour long!), the Alcazar (which was stunning and full of flowers of every variety after our heavy winter rains), and the best places to eat in Andalucía (including a wonderful chill dinner at home with my roommates).

Despite the bad weather during the first part of the week (including a downpour during siesta when there was no shelter around – and again, only one umbrella to split between three), the patios and company with them were nothing but spectacular, and I’ve already reserved a place on a friend’s couch for next year’s pandemonium.

Gabriela and Juan - LOVE these people!

Mom in the 1st Place patio
Vanessa and I in a nook of the "OH" Patio


2 comments:

  1. So I originally read this on my phone and there were no pictures. I was prepaired to give you an endlessly hard time. :) The patios look amazing I'm sad I never made it to visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patios were amazing - but don't you worry about not being able to make it out! You actually might have another opportunity to visit me next year (might be going back for another year!) I hope that we can have a reunion soon, regardless of which side of the ocean it's on.

    ReplyDelete