Friday, May 21, 2010

Time Speeds Up

Once I returned from Italy, I knew life would move a bit more rapidly than before. Before leaving, I worked straight for a couple of weekends to ensure I had all my lesson planning done for the 6 weeks ahead.

After getting back on Sunday, my friend Lindsay - arriving all the way from my neighborhood in Tempe - was coming for a visit that next Wednesday. It was a fun-filled 7 days starting off with typical Cordobese foods (Salmorejo ended up being a favorite), leaving for Sevilla the next day, then two days in Granada, 2 more days in Córdoba, and 2 days in Madrid where we found some of the most excellent restaurants (Possibly the best sandwich/burger place globally? Modeled after an American diner, complete with ketchup & mustard bottles and Johnny Cash playing in the background).

Taking Lindsay to the airport that Thursday, I was meant to fly out to visit a friend in Edinburgh, Scotland a few hours later. Upon our arrival at the airport and after checking Linds in, I unhappily discovered (along with millions of others across Europe) that might flight had been canceled, the next available one not until Sunday (of course not knowing at the time that all flights would still be grounded on Sunday). I was bummed and made my way back to the bus station to catch the next ride back to Córdoba. Fortunately, all was not lost, and I gained a weekend back to myself to catch up on all that I had neglected and was even able to attend the most recent party in Córdoba - Beerfest, held in the Plaza del Torros. Complete with polka dancing, outdated Spanish pop, grilled bratwurst, and delicious beer, it hardly replaced Scotland, but it was good enough to take my mind off a silly volcano and have a good time with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment